Saturday, June 28, 2008

All this Respect for Women is driving me nuts!

Let's not forget the seven years I've spent in Delhi, trying very hard to avoid being pushed, nudged or stared at for no reason in all public places, without exception. Kolkata is surreal that way. A Delhiite can actually get offended by the sheer lack of obscene attention she gets from guys here.

So South City Mall looks like a decent enough place to hang out, even though the teenagers here insist it isn't. We've found a hypermarket underneath the mall, deep within its basement. And it truly is hyper. Just a massive space where they're willing to sell you anything from plasma TVs to popcorn. Aquariums of live prawns and crabs line the walls of the meats section. You stare, and amost feel sorry for the blue clawed sweeties. But then the words "crispy fried" come to mind, and you're so willing to be cruel and eat up the creatures again. (My apologies, vegetarians).

Pollution is one of Kolkata's chief troubles. Diesel vehicles can't seem to keep the diesel fumes out. The way to University is headache route. *sigh*

What wouldn't a good painting, polishing and retouching job do to the city? Here it is, just sitting there, all that magical architecture crying out to be glossed and displayed in all of its magnificence. Kolkata has the potential to be world class and to draw world tourism to itself. If only I had an unlimited supply of paint, brushes and the permission...

5 comments:

Nabila Jamshed said...

Soooo sweet!!!!!!

Nabila Jamshed said...

that was my mom, btw. I was logged in. I swear, I'm not THAT narcissistic...

Bakarbaaz said...

I agree with the pollution bit - when I went to kolkatta a few years back I just couldnt breathe....All the CNG in delhi has spoilt ya...
Also kolkatta might be much dirtier than the posh south delhi where we have lived!!!
Anyways.. I love the way ya write.... is so descriptive that i can picturise it ...
Hope ya enjoi ur stay there

Ankita said...

hey its amazing to see kolkatta from your eyes... write a book on ur experiences...itll be gr8...

English Good One said...

I endorse Ankita Negi's views. You must must write about Kolkata all nicely bundled up in a book!